DITY (Do-It-Yourself) Move Travel Options

Active duty personnel who receive PCS (Permanent Change of Station) orders have the option of accepting a government-sponsored move to their next duty station, or making a DITY (Do-It-Yourself) move. If you choose to make a DITY move, what resources are available for you to take advantage of?

Rental Vehicle/ Equipment

If you choose to rent a vehicle for your DITY move, you will be solely responsible for finding a suitable truck or trailer to transport your household goods to the next destination. The US government will pay you an allowance based on mileage and the estimated weight of your shipment. However, there is no advance paid to those with separation orders. If you use a rental vehicle and/or equipment for your DITY move, you will be responsible for packing, loading, driving and unloading your household goods when you reach your destination. Storage must be paid for upfront. You can apply for reimbursement at a later date.

You Pack/ Commercial Moving Company Drives

Another option is for you to pack and load a commercial moving vehicle and to have the commercial moving company drive to the destination. Once the moving company reaches the destination, you will be responsible for unloading the commercial moving vehicle. If you choose this option, you must ask for an ICC number, in addition to State or Federal Regulation numbers. The company must also provide you with weight tickets, so that you can apply for reimbursements for your DITY move.

Privately Owned Vehicle DITY

Those who choose to use their own privately owned vehicle, or a borrowed vehicle, are not permitted to receive an advance operating allowance for their DITY move. Moreover, if you borrow someone else’s vehicle for your DITY move, you must have express, written permission from the owner to do so. The vehicle owner’s vehicle registration must be up to date and the vehicle should not be a passenger vehicle, but a “cargo” type, suitable for transporting household goods.

The main DITY options include renting a removal vehicle and/or equipment, packing your own household goods and then having a moving company drive for you, or using a privately owned vehicle for the DITY move. Speak to your local transportation office to learn more about DITY moves.


The DITY Move, Part II: 4 Types of Moves


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *